NAGF News Bullets for Bi-Week ending 4/21/2023
- Upcoming NAGF Conference Calls/Webinars
- NAGF Physical Security Working Group Quarterly Webinar: April 27th @ 02:00-03:00 pm Eastern
- NAGF Standards Review Team Comment Development Webinar for NERC Project 2022-02 TPL-001 Footnote 13.d SAR: May 1st @ 11:00-12:00 pm Eastern
- NAGF Standards Review Team Working Group Monthly Webinar: May 3rd @ 11:00-12:00 pm Eastern
(Webinar information can be found on the NAGF website Event Calendar.)
- NERC Announces Actions Addressing Physical Security
On April 14, 2023, NERC filed its report evaluating the CIP-014 Reliability Standard with FERC. The report, which was directed by FERC in a December 15, 2022 order, called for NERC to study the applicability criteria of the standard and the adequacy of the risk assessment and to assess whether a minimum level of physical security protections should be established for all bulk power system transmission stations, substations, and primary control centers. Highlights of the report include:
- NERC does not recommend expansion of the CIP-014 applicability criteria.
- While the objective of the CIP-014 risk assessment requirement is appropriate, it should be refined to help ensure the assessment are performed consistently and with the appropriate technical rigor.
- NERC is not recommending a common minimum level of physical security protections. However, there is a need to evaluate additional reliability, resiliency, and security measures designed to mitigate the risks associated with physical security attacks.
- FERC Approves Incentive Rate Treatment for Cybersecurity Investments
On April 20, 2023, FERC issued a final rule providing incentive-based rate treatment for utilities making certain voluntary cybersecurity investments. The rule follows Congress’ direction under the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act of 2021 that the Commission revise its regulations to establish incentive-based rate treatments to encourage utilities to invest in advanced cybersecurity technology and participate in cybersecurity threat information sharing programs for the benefit of consumers.
Wayne Sipperly Jr.
North American Generator Forum
M: (914) 806-0397